I really love it when my initial impressions of a product are wrong. When I first received the Bentley Comfort Holster, I thought the unique materials were some sort of gimmick to justify the premium price tag. After carrying with the holster for a few days in a row, I'm happy to say "Boy, I was wrong!" There's an metaphoric expression used to compare the quality of a product to a highly reputable classic car maker... "the Rolls Royce of ___" is what people say. I can venture to say that this holster got its name, because it is "the Bentley of Holsters."
First let me preface by stating that I own several different inside the waistband holsters, and they each have gotten their fair use. I do have a favorite out of the bunch, that has warped to my body after being worn repeatedly, and feels pretty good now that it's been 'Ryanitized' by my love handles. By the end of the evening, especially if it was a particularly active day, my body is relieved when its time to take that holster off. The air finally gets a chance to wick away sweat that accumulates with unbreathable skin-on-leather contact, even with a layer of fabric in between. Then there's the circular indent left behind. I do not expect the comforting concept of having a concealed defensive pistol to be in itself comfortable to bare, and that has been a mantra in the concealed training world for awhile now. With all the advancements in leather and kydex, we still have to endure some discomfort in order to be secure when using conventional IWB holsters. I'm pleased to have found an alternative that effectively throws that paradigm out the window.
Comfort Holsters claims this is the most comfortable holster in the world. A bold claim indeed, something that every holster manufacturer attempts to boast! The flagship model in Comfort Holsters' product line is called "The Bentley Comfort" holster. The Bentley uses a unique gel layer wrapped in suede material, which pads a full kydex chassis on the hip-facing side. The full chassis of kydex provides maximum retention of the firearm, while protecting the metal's finish from sweat. The gel pad reminds me of high end orthotic insoles in a prescription shoe, which is actually a really good way to compare the beneficial qualities of the material. Gel obviously molds to outside forces, your hip in this case. This eliminates abrasions, chaffing, and putting undue pressure on your body that some conventional IWB holsters can cause. Now wrapping that jelly material in soft suede not only feels pleasant to the touch but allows skin the breathe, which resolves something a leather backed holster design suffers from greatly. The result is an all day comfort that I personally had never really appreciated until it came time to remove the Bentley from my pants at the end of day one... the relief of pressure and drastic "Aaaaahhh, much better" feeling was missing. Meaning the Bentley and my body were ready for another 9+ hour day of carrying, and that's a feeling I have never experienced with any other holster I've tried.
The Bentley holster has two leather tabs, more like wings, that provide the mounting for two belt clips. Unlike other holsters, the clips are not spread out. The Bentley is smaller more compact design with clips specifically placed asymmetrically for functional purposes. The rear clip is less than an inch from the kydex, with its clip positioned underneath the pistol grip. This, combined with a short, rigid double layer of leather which the manufacturer calls the "Cling Tab," causes a pulling / torque of the holster inward so that the grip follows the contour of your body, instead of remaining parallel to your frame like other holsters. The front/foward tab is a single layer of leather and is longer and mounted to follow the inward taper of the kydex, allowing it to flex and follow the contour of your waistband. This design has two primary intended results: reduce "printing" or broadcasting you are concealing a firearm through an imprint in clothing, and not needing a break-in period for the holster to warp and conform to your body.
From my testing, which included drawing my S&W M&Pc for dry fire practice for a couple weeks, I found that I am pleasantly pleased with the Comfort Holsters Bentley Comfort holster. The marketing hype on the Comfort Holsters website seems overreaching if you've never given it a try, but I can honestly assess that a lot of thought and engineering went into designing and building a better IWB holster. Some personal notes I found during my testing and evaluation are:
- If you prefer to carry exactly in the 3 o'clock position, the Bentley doesn't feel 'right'. It printed much more for me at this apex of my hip. I found that moving it back to the 4 - 4:30 position was the 'sweet spot' for me. I normally don't carry this far back because more traditional IWB holsters have a wider leather backing, and would cause pinching/discomfort in the kidney area when in the sitting position. The Bentley's smaller profile was almost unnoticeable when sitting at my office desk and driving around town.
- The rearward clip on the Cling Tab is directly located below the front strap of the grip, and if you adjust the seating depth so your gun sits deeper in your pants, the clearance for your fingers gets really tight. My digits began to wear on the knuckles of the index and middle fingers during drawing practice, and would often interfere with getting a good purchase on the grip frame. I wouldn't say that I have gorilla mits, but if you have fatter booger hooks than I do you will encounter this too. Best to leave the rear clip in its lowest position.
- The smell of the adhesive that binds the suede/gel panel to the kydex body is very pungent. If it weren't for the instructions addressing this, I would have been concerned for my safety in a tightly spaced environment. No worries, the off gassing dissipated after about 2 days.
Note: If you want a holster made to fit your rail mounted light or laser, just ask Rob. I wish I had a TLR-3 on a S&W M&Pc molded up, but failed to ask.
Firearms Insider Reviews - 8 Key Points
Claim to Fame: This is the most comfortable holster known to man
Target Market: Concealed Carriers looking for the ultimate comfortable hoster for IWB carry
FNBs (Features & Benefits of this product)
- Gel Cushion
- Suede Protection
- Adjustment clip position (3 levels for forward clip, 2 for the rear)
- Rigid & short Cling tab gives extra support to rear of holster, angles grip inward
- Full Kydex body retention
- Small Footprint
- Lifetime Guarantee
- 6 week buy back warranty
- Made in the USA
What other aesthetic options or finishes are available?: Kydex color Black or Desert Tan
What others are saying?: " During a very extensive search for an IWB holster to fit my glock 19 AND mounted Streamlight TLR-1, I ran across Rob Durham. When I first contact Rob he was in the process of moving his shop into the back of one of his local gun shops. This move has enabled him to make holsters for pretty much anything that the shop might carry. After hammering out all the details of what I was looking for Rob was able to put together a mold for my combination and for future use... Instead of leaving a waxed backing on the holster Rob has mated a second layer of leather for added comfort. It does not affect the flexibility of the holster. It doesn't affect the thickness either. This holster is fairly thin. I think I would have liked to see him run a row of stitching In the sculpted track running the entire perimeter of the holster, but we'll see how it holds up in the long run as is. The Holster is set up for adjustable ride height and/or cant... The holster features a sweat guard. As of right now there is not a "combat cut" like cross breed offers. But I have a feeling it will be an added feature in future holsters. It does not effect the draw, but would be a tad more comfortable on first "grab". After playing with the cants I finally settled in on the front clip all the way to the top and the rear clip in the middle position. At the 3 o'clock position it provides a slight cant, and makes the weapon print ALOT less.... is directly on the hip. You'll notice in this position that it "squares off the side." Also noted a bulge around the pocket. This position is NOT okay while seated. The grip and sweat guard tends to push into my side in this position while seated." Firing Line User Review
I need it now! Availability: Readily available at comfortholsters.com
+ No break-in period
+-Cling Tab: Shorter, double layered tab pulls pistol grip in to follow body contour
+ Suede and Gel combo really does provide all day comfort, no sweating or chaffing especially if in sitting positions (at desk or driving)
+ 6 Week Buy Back guarantee, shows major faith in product / customer satisfaction
- Smaller footprint puts rear clip right under pistol grip and can hinder initial purchase of handle if preferred position adjusted a certain way
- My experience with experimenting with different pants / tops was still signs of printing through light clothing due to full kydex body and gel pad.
--Strong glue smell upon first 1-2 days of wear
- Price is on the higher end of the market, but it is high quality with uniquely comfort not available elsewhere.
Score: 8.0 Great