Overall, I am very new to the concealed carry scene, purely due to the fact that I live in Illinois, and up until 2 months ago it wasn't an option. However, those days are over. I was like any other person that was new to concealed carry in the fact that I was overwhelmed with the amount of holster choices available to me. IWB? OWB? Kydex? Leather? Hybrid? The list goes on and on. My daily carry gun is a Springfield XD40 Sub-Compact, so this is what I was looking to conceal. I ended up with a StealthGear ONYX IWB Holster. Based on my overall satisfaction of this holster, I don't think that I could have gone with a better first choice for a holster, right out of the gate!
The heart of the StealthGear ONYX IWB is its revolutionary VentCore TM breathable platform. StealthGear claims that "this innovative ventilation system allows moisture to rapidly dissipate away from your body, leaving you dry and comfortable, all day long. No other holster will keep you drier! StealthGear ventilated holster platforms are built with a unique combination of synthetic non moisture-absorbing materials and stainless steel hardware. You will not find a tougher, lighter or more comfortable IWB holster on the market today." Personally, I cannot find fault in any of their claims. I have virtually worn this holster every day for the last two months, and find this to be very comfortable. During my normal day job, I am unable to carry my firearm. However, I choose to continue to wear this holster...it is that comfortable that I do not even notice it or find it bothersome.
As far as the rest of the features go, everything else is of pure quality. The function and fit are great. I have positive retention between the holster and gun at all times, and in many different positions. The feel of this holster, even against bare skin is vey comfortable, not just between layers. The ride height and the cant are both adjustable to your liking as well. Like I stated before, this is the first holster that I started to carry with (I have since had others purchased for one reason or another for this gun and others), and I think that I was lucky finding the best one. With that being said, it took me a week or two decide what combination of position, along with ride height, and cant worked best for me. This StealthGear ONYX IWB holster allowed me to find that perfect combination with ease.
Firearms Insider Reviews – 8 Key Points
Claim to Fame: Extreme comfort and ultimate concealability, all while being combat ready.
Target Market: Conceal Carry.
FNBs (features & benefits of this product):
- Ideal for concealed carry
- VentCore TM ventilated platform keeps YOU dry
- Integrated condensation (or moisture) shield keeps your WEAPON dry
- Built with non moisture-absorbing synthetics
- Stainless steel fasteners
- Designed for rapid combat presentation
- Adjustable for cant and depth
- Tough .093 mil KYDEX shell with adjustable retention screws
- Full coverage of muzzle for extreme protection
- Lighter weight than leather or hybrid holsters
- Strategically-placed padding for maximum comfort
- 3/32" hex key and extra screws included
- Lifetime warranty
- Hand-Built in the USA
What other aesthetic options or finishes are available?:
- Black Only
- J-clips available for those that want less exposure of the clips (I have recently ordered, but have not received yet)
What others are saying?:
- "Initially, I just chalked up the proclaimed comfort to the similarity in design to the Crossbreeds I was so accustomed to. After all, the Crossbreed holster is by far the most comfortable IWB holster I have used, that is until now. - Thebangswitch.com
- "What it boils down to is this: it’s light, airy and feels great. Really great. I’ve been giving it a go for most of this summer. I just about always wear a t-shirt between any holster and my baby-soft skin and with that intermediate layer – yes, even in the summer – the ONYX is about as comfy as an IWB rig can be. - TheTruthAboutGuns
- MSRP = $99.99
I need it now! Availability: Available online at the StealthGear USA site. Currently a 3-5 week waiting period. A longer wait period than most would understandably want, but worth it when you get the finished product.
+ Most comfortable holster that I have tried
+ The quality, fit, and finish are second to none
+ Quality stainless steel fasteners
+ Excellent weight distribution
- 3 to 5 weeks can be a tough wait when you are so darn eager to get something