This knife and sheath combo are small enough to be unnoticeable, yet the knife is just big enough to be useful. For some with bigger hands it may actually be too small to be comfortable in the hand, and impractical for self defense. However for me, it perfectly fits the role of an EDC blade. The edge has held up well after a light honing from day one. I've used it to open stubborn plastic packaging, sharpen sticks, and cut bailing twine.
I really do enjoy this knife, even though it is a mass-produced blade that is more at home stuffed in a Christmas stocking than a Bug-Out bag. While I don't see it as comparable to other "tactical" knives in utility, construction, or comfort in the hand its petite design will be on my side or under my shirt for the foreseeable future. For the price point, it makes a great functional and unique gift to mostly anyone who practices the EDC lifestyle.
Firearms Insider Reviews – 8 Key Points
Claim to Fame: Jason Brous designed a "functional fantasy" Snarl knife that features a 9CR18MoV stainless steal blade. It's like a brass knuckles/SOG mash-up.
Target Market: Every Day Carry, Concealed Carry, Outdoorsman (Fishing, Hunting, Camping)
FNBs (Features & Benefits of this product):
- 9CR18MoV Stainless Steel, Satin finish
- Sheepsfoot design
- 14 horizontal serrations on spine for better grip
- RC. 58-60 hardness
- 4.3" overall length
- 2.3" blade length
- 1.90 oz
What other aesthetic options or finishes are available?: None, satin stainless only
"I was pretty excited to receive this SOG/Brous collaboration. It's a solid little knife, thick piece of steel and feels like it could take a beating. The sheath has good retention and easily clips onto your belt. The included clip only supports horizontal carry -- maybe a small teklok would provide other options (although I'm not sure about that). Despite liking the knife, I just can't get used to it. I know this is a very popular Brous design, but I just can't figure out a way for me to hold the knife comfortably. I've tried various grips but I don't feel as if I have control of the blade with any of them. I have pretty regular sized hands but whatever I do it's just pretty awkward." Amazon User Review
"The blade comes a little dull, I intentionally dulled it even more along with wrapping/burning 550 cord around the rear finger hole. Reason being, this "knife" is more of a high stress weapon. This is meant to be used in conjunction with gross motors skills I.E. punching, jabbing (nasty up close inside fighting). Considering the draw and striking style used, I could see me cutting my middle finger so I dulled it down. I wouldn't dare do this to the silent soldier II but hey, this is only thirty dollars. Pros: Awesome sheath very secure, quality steel. Cons: Potential weak point at base of blade (should be beveled outward) and the sheath clip can only be mounted for a side draw, which I love but some wouldn't." Amazon User Review
I need it now! Availability: Readily available online at Amazon or other SOG dealers
- Versatility: designed be held in multiple ways and carried in two ways, praised as a neck knife
- Blade edge has held up well
- Thickness of blade spine adds to durability and controllability / helps make up for short overall length
- Sheath has good retention and is reversible for lefties / righties
- No matte black finish option
- Short grip area and medium finger holes may prevent use from larger handed users, or cause hand fatigue
- Metal thins near bottom of blade/first finger hole (potential weak point if used to pry)
- Edges of finger holes need cordage wrap or dehorning as edges are pronounced
- Sheath's belt clip is limited to horizontal orientation
- Belt clip doesn't secure to belt enough, prone to sliding or easily coming off belt
Score: 7.0 Good
For FFL services I choose Promised Land Firearms in Toulon, IL.