By Devin Blystone
Sig Sauer is a quality firearms manufacturer. The P229R is carried by thousands of law enforcement professionals throughout the country. The compact size of this gun makes it great for conceal carry but in reality, it doesn't feel like a compact gun. At 37 oz, it’s heavier than other compact models on the market, but the balance of the gun makes it feel like it weighs a lot less. The P229R is available in 9mm, .357SIG, and .40S&W. Not to mention, that there are other many different variations of this gun available. Magazine capacity for the P229R is 13 rounds for 9mm and 12 rounds for .40S&W and .357SIG. Should you live in these states, 10 round CA and MA compliant magazines are also available for purchase. Shooting this pistol in .40S&W is a breeze. The felt recoil isn't bad and I can get sights back on target quickly. The sights available for this pistol are regular and the SIGLITE night sights.
Firearms Insider Reviews - 8 Key Points
Claim to Fame: Reliable and accurate.
Target Market: Higher end market, law enforcement, and government agencies.
FNBs (Features & Benefits of this product):
- Almost full length rails for the slide to travel on
- DA/SA, 10 lbs DA trigger pull and 4.4 lbs SA
- The polymer grips provide great traction
- Solid metal frame
- Low profile slide serrations
- Accessory rail
- 10 and 12 round magazines(.357SIG and 40S&W)
- Lanyard loop
- Available in 9mm, .357SIG, and .40S&W
What other: Black, stainless, two tone and flat dark earth.
What others are saying?:
- “This SIG P229R is now on my "all time favorite handguns" list.” Ballistics 101
- “there is no question it is an excellent choice for concealed carry.” U.S. Concealed Carry
I need it now! Availability: Check your local gun shops. Also, the gun can be bought at many websites.
+ No manual safety + Heavy, long first trigger pull + Decocker and slide stop release are low profile + Takedown is pretty easy + 3.9” barrel cuts down on the felt recoil + Accessory rail has 3 positions + Replaceable grips + Balanced very well, feels lighter than it is
- Expensive - 32.0 oz. with magazine - Two piece polymer grips meet at the back and feel cheap when they flex
Score: 9 Amazing!
To hear more about this and other gear, go check out the Firearms Radio Networks new show, Firearms Insider Gun & Gear Review Podcast.