Firearms Insider Reviews – 8 Key Points
Claim to Fame: The Sig Sauer 938 is one of the smallest sub-compact 9mm carry guns out there right now. It is also one of the only of its size to have real sights (Sig night sights), and it’s a true single action with a nice crisp trigger, something you almost never see in a micro gun like this.
Target Market: Fits best as a small carry pistol for someone who doesn’t want to have to crunch through an inch of travel and 12 pounds of pull on a micro 9mm, or especially as a backup gun for anyone carrying a 1911 style pistol.
- Crisp, single-stage trigger
- Comes standard with full size night sights. Big improvement over the “trench and bump” style sights on most J-frame size revolvers or other micro 9mms
- Ambi-Safety, for anyone left handed or carrying as an off-hand backup
- 6+1 (or 7+1 with extended “pinkie mag”) capacity
- Comes in a variety of finishes and grip styles
- Complete control crossover for anyone familiar with the 1911 platform. Safety, slide stop, mag release all feel the same. Makes it easy to transition between the two for people who carry 1911's
What other aesthetic options or finishes are available?: Wide variety to choose from. They come all black anodized and powder-coated, ceracoat type ceramic finish, polished Nitron and more.
What others are saying?: Most of the reviews I have found are of pre-production guns or very early models (one straight from the Sig factory store), and they have a few complaints about trigger weight and grittiness, as well as complaints that the all-black “Nightmare” versions are ugly. No complaints about reliability, the sights are well liked. Accuracy out to 25yds is better than other sub-compact 9s.
I need it now! Availability: Readily available online, (gunsamerica and gunbroker) and at a number of local gun stores here in NC. I know mine was bought off-the-shelf at Cabela’s in Kansas City.
Our Rating :
+ Out-of-the-box with great sights + Better trigger than most subcompacts + Control familiarity for 1911 shooters + 9mm power in a tiny package.
- Grip screws worked out after a few mags (Blue LocTite fixed) - Ambi-safety lever pinches your hand if you try to take the weapon off safe with a full shooting grip.