Following up on my past review of the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 Holster,
I requested the newest evolution to the extraterrestrial themed holster line, the Cloak Tuck 3.0 Holster. I gave the Cloak Tuck 2.0 IWB holster a rating of 6.5 out of 10, as it was a uniquely comfortable holster, but had some odd flaws that should probably have been thought out better. The cons I found with the 2.0 holster was the generous flexibility of the backing would cause the slide to come out of battery when reholstering at a wrong angle, instead of guiding it into position like a more rigid leather backing. The neoprene material was soft and comfortable, but the smooth front surface lacked enough friction to really hold the gun snuggly. Another big complaint was the exposed hardware on the back that would contact the skin and cause slight discomfort. The cant adjustment hardware also was exposed on the front and would wear the fabric of your pants. No bueno! But it was apparent Alien Gear was onto something, as many users still raved the 2.0 holster.
The quest for engineering a superbly comfortable, yet functionally supportive IWB holster is a tough egg to crack. Many IWB carriers are simply content with their leather backed holster, and pretend its comfortable when in reality it feels pretty noticeable on the hip or has a bulky profile that prints through the pants or shirt. Alien Gear's cloak tuck line has gone through a several design and engineering phases, from a high quality leather backing in the first version, to the cloak tuck 2.0 and it's neoprene covered ABS polymer core. In this third creation, Alien Gear has found much more than a compromise.
The Cloak Tuck 3.0 doesn't compromise in comfort at all. In fact, its even more comfortable than the 2.0, which many users raved about it's almost nonexistent presence on the belt. The neoprene backing is just a soft, and now it covers the unsightly hardware T screws. No more will body hair get snagged and pulled! To boot, there is now only one set of cant adjustment screws, that you can simply unscrew and reposition however you like using the supplied allen screw. I can't really think of a reason why there were two sets of unused and exposed screws on the 2.0 holster, but thankfully they're gone!
The biggest improvement to the design is on the inside, beneath the neoprene fabric. Instead of an ABS core, there is now a stainless spring steel backbone dow that is only big enough to anchor the gun shell itself. The wings of the holster still remain very flexible, bendable to a full 180 degrees without tearing, breaking or stretching anything. So now not only does the handgun have a more rigid but flexible support backing, but the winged tabs are free to flex along your belt-line more freely. The backing carries the same combat cut as the previous models, and it has the same flexibility as the wings so no matter your body type or degree of muffin top, this holster wouldn't feel any more comfortable unless it was made of Charmin Ultra Soft.
Another new addition to the Cloak Tuck 3.0 has a new skin. Specifically called "Alien Skin," the front surface of the holster now has a thermoelastic layered thats textured almost like a reptile. The new texture adds drag to the retention of the pistol, which was lacking in the 2.0's smooth surface. Also the Alien Skin has the logo and made in USA flag molded right into it, which looks much more professional than the silver paint on the last version.
Nothing's changed as far as the clips and handgun shell, they are exactly the same as before... well expect now you can get a Viridian reactor model that activates the laser upon draw. As for the belt clips, you can choose from a number of clips including black steel clips, standard nylon clips, polymer injected "J" clips or "C" clips, black leather loops, tan leather loops, or as a combo of black leather loops and either "J" clips or "C" clips, or tan leather loops and either clips. The "J" clips come up over the pant and hook just underneath the belt, and the "C" Clips hook over the top and bottom edge of the belt. These two styles are supposed to be more discreet when you have your shirt tucked in, as any full size clip showing over the top of a belt when the shirt is tucked is really a dead giveaway. It's what I look for first if I'm playing the "spot who's carrying" game. The black or tan leather loops are intended to "blend" against your black or tan dress belt for more discretion as well.
My review score for the Cloak Tuck 3.0 goes up to solid 9.0, with a high probability of it meeting a 9.5 rating after further testing to be sure the stitching and overall finesse holds up over time. Bottom line, this is the most comfortable inside the waistband holster on the market... regardless of price point. While there are comfortable options out there, you won't find one that beats the price of the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 holster. Easily affordable, easily adjustable for cant and retention, and easily forgettable when wearing unless you bend or contort. I wish I could say they paid me for a glowing review, but the fact is this is just a damned good holster. The branding of Alien Gear is alittle oddball with the whole little green man and UFOs on the website, but its hard to dispute their claim that this is "the most comfortable holster on Earth," or at least until the Cloak Tuck 4.0 holster comes out.
Firearms Insider Reviews – 8 Key Points
Claim to Fame: The Cloak Tuck 3.0 concealed carry holster offers an unmatched level of comfort and concealability within the concealed carry world.
Target Market: Concealed Carry
FNBs (Features & Benefits of this product):
- Holster base can be used to upgrade Cloak Tuck 2.0 Holster
- Improved retention
- Enhanced flexibility
- Stainless spring-steel band that acts as core
- Layer of thermoelastic polymer w/ "Alien Skin" covers the face of the gun holster for grip
- Previously exposed T-Nuts are now covered with soft neoprene fabric on the back
- Completely waterproof design
- Compatible with a variety of belt clips: nylon “C” clips and “J” clips
- Great variety of gun models, even obscure guns other holster makers don't touch
- Available for some guns with mounted Crimson Trace, Viridian or Laserlyte products
- Hosts multiple shells, allowing user to swap out their guns while keeping the same holster base
- Iron Clad Triple Guarantee: 30 day test drive, free shell trades for life, and Forever Warranty.
What other aesthetic options or finishes are available?: Black "Alien Skin" with Bright Green Bushings
What others are saying?:
"Alien Gear Holsters: Is it Hype or Quality? I've seen the slick marketing and all the ads but figured it was a cheap design considering the price.
- Alien Gear Holsters produces Hybrid holster system high quality leather backing with
- Variety of clips for customizing carry options for unbelievable comfortable all day long
- Distributes weight across waist with no issues whatsoever
- One of the cool things about the system is you get an accessory pack with clips, hardware and wrench - everything you need to customize, make it your own the way you like.
I think theres a lot of cool things about these holster that will peak your interest. It has mine."
sootch00 YouTube Video
I need it now! Availability: Website
- Extremely Comfortable, yet good support of the handgun
- Carries well in different positions on the hip, angles handgun grip inward
- New spring steel core increases retention by stiffening weapon area while still allow wings to flex
- Thermoelastic skin and hidden T Screws are vast improvements to aesthetics over 2.0
- Extra parts now come in a sweet little kit with different size screws and bushings and a alien head keychain (lulz)
- Customer service is on point
- Price beats out most other competitor IWB holsters
- Great entry level option for new concealed carriers
- Position of the slide was still slightly off center from sweat guard
- Limited options for popular weapon lights (no Streamlight, Surefire, Inforce)
Score: 9.0 Amazing
For FFL services I choose Promised Land Firearms in Toulon, IL.
Gun & Gear Review Podcast
Hunter of Design