I am by no means a portable illumination connoisseur, but I seem to go through a flashlight about once every year. Either borrowed and never returned, lost, or broken, I never seem to have a flashlight handy when I need one. I'm not one for expensive name brand flashlights either, so you won't find any SureFire torches in my toolbox. That said, I always try to keep a handheld flashlight in my vehicle. Two is even better, with one being brighter than the other. The reason for this is if I'm ever broke down with a dead battery, especially at night, a flashlight is the most important tool to have. If you ain't got it, you're gonna be hurting. Even if I'm just digging around for something in the cab, under the seats, or helping someone under the hood... a light in your hand is your best friend.
The light I keep in my glovebox is the Pelican MityLite 1960 LED. I got this mini pocket light as a stocking stuffer for Christmas a couple years ago. Like the cases Pelican is better known for, this flashlight is watertight and dustproof.
With a runtime of only 3 hours on 2 AAA batteries, this flashlight is really better kept as a emergency light in the glovebox of your vehicle or in your pocket for casual illumination, NOT as an EDC carry flashlight. There are shorter, longer lasting lights with higher lumens that are better suited for checking out what's going bump in the night. However this lights underpowered lens helps in keeping you from blinding yourself when looking for your keys or that missing charger. It's rugged ABS body will take a beating like you'd expect from a Pelican product, so this makes a decent light in a pinch.
Firearms Insider Reviews – 8 Key Points
Claim to Fame: An evolution of the popular MityLite 1900, the 1960 LED brings the latest in LED technology, built compact and lightweight to fit inside your pocket yet bright enough to illuminate with 24 lumens.
Target Market: Everybody and their mothers
FNBs (Features & Benefits of this product):
- ABS resin body resists chemicals, corrosion and extreme temperatures
- 24 Lumens LED
- 2 AAA Alkaline (Included)
- Runtime 3 hr
- Tough xenoy pocket clip and trademark faceted body
- Clear Polycarbonate lens
- Rotary Switch Operation
- On/Off mode only
- Phosphore Bronze contact, spring & retainer
- O-ring for waterproof / submersible to 1 meter for 30 minutes
- Pelican Limited Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence
What other aesthetic options or finishes are available?: Black, Yellow
What others are saying?:
I need it now! Availability: Amazon
- Small enough for EDC or enclosed space illumination (vehicle cab, engine compartment, etc.)
- Faceted body so won't roll on level surfaces
- Dustproof, Waterproof, and submersible
- The light can be activated with the shroud removed, improvised morse code signal
- Low Runtime of 3 hours for AAA powered LED
Score: 7.5 Good
For FFL services I choose Promised Land Firearms in Toulon, IL.
Gun & Gear Review Podcast
Hunter of Design