I first came across these e-muffs when a hunting buddy was raving about his newly acquired superhuman hearing abilities in the field. At first his claims seems exaggerative (as they usually are) but upon trying them for myself, I find his recommendation was dead on the money (as he usually is). Referred to as the "game ear" in our small circle, these electronic earmuffs by Howard Leight (Sperian) are perfect for shooters and hunters. They work as most electronic earmuffs do at the range, when things go BANG they shut off the amplification, while picking up other sounds like conversations, range commands, etc. Where the unique wow factor comes in, is when you pop these on in the field. Duck hunters - there's always that sneaky mallard that you only locate by the sound of wings displacing the cold crisp air, followed shortly by a deafening blast from your comrade's 12 gauge. With these earmuffs, that duck will sounds like California Condor swooping down on your blind from much further away! And more importantly, your ears won't be ringing the rest of the day after that trigger time.
My old man puts these on when he's trying to ambush a buck. After 30+ years of heavy equipment operation, a CH47 Chinook helicopter could sneak up and surprise him. But with these muffs on, nature comes alive around him (you have to adjust, a falling maple leaf can sound like a hoof-step if you let your imagination get the better of you). It's a real ace for the woods.
Firearms Insider Reviews – 8 Key Points
Claim to Fame: Sleek, extremely low profile earcup design while amplifying low-level sounds / reducing harmful gunfire or impulse noise above 82dB
Target Market: Ranger Shooters, Hunters, P.U.S.K (Parents of Unrelenting Screaming Kids)
FNBs (Features & Benefits of this product):
- Automatic 4 hour shut-off increases battery life, which is expected to be 350 hours overall on 2 AAA batteries.
- AUX jack connects to MP3 players and phones
- Automatically shuts off loud impulse noise to a safe 82dB while amplifying conversation and range commands
- Convenient folding design for easy storage
- One single power and volume control knob
- Air Flow Control™ technology
- Black leatherette headband with sporty hunter green earcups
- Water resistant
- Easy access to the external battery compartment (2 AAA batteries included)
What other aesthetic options or finishes are available?: Green earcups or Mossyoak Camo
"Shortly after buying this headset, I noticed that most of the guys at my shooting club were also wearing the exact same model." - MidwayUSA review
+ Sound amplification is really good, higher than my other Cadwell set. + Wheel-style switch, easier to operate (especially with gloves) than knob-style switch. + Folds up nice and snug into itself, and when worn they fit well and don't come off when head-banging to tunes + Line-in audio jack for plugging into phone/mp3 player/radio/etc. + Batteries are easy to access + Slim profile assists in cheek wields on long guns (doesn't beat plugs though)
- Microphones squeal / get feedback on high setting when obstructed (no wearing under a hood) - Leather on band shows signs of fading/wear on brand new pair.
Score: 8.0 Great